One of the most popular training programs at present is waist training. Learn more about what waist training is, what it can do, and how to start it with the help of this how-to and informative article.
What is Waist Training and What it can Do?
Waist training refers to the process of decreasing the natural size of your waist and accentuating your curves using a tight-laced corset or a waist trainer. You can use the mentioned garments to obtain a more exaggerated hourglass figure, which refers to having curves over the hips and a tiny waist.
You need to cinch the corset tighter, which is a good thing as it can pull your floating ribs then do some form of rearrangements in your internal organs. The result is an effective reduction in your waist’s circumference. Note that the effect of waist training is only semi-permanent, so there is a need for you to use the corset continuously even after you reached your target reduction.
The good thing about the waist trainer or corset is that it can perform a number of functions. For one, some people use it as a fashion statement. Others, on the other hand, wear it under their clothing as a means of supporting their back and posture.
However, the main function of the corset is to help those who aim to get that classic hourglass figure. Fortunately, it works on that purpose as it is really effective in reducing the space in your abdomen and moving any floating ribs.
Aside from that, it promotes weight loss since the corset serves as an external LAP band. That said, expect it to help prevent you from eating huge quantities of food when you’re wearing it.
Does Waist Trainers Work?
The answer, of course, is a big yes. The continued use of it works well within a period of time. If you’re wondering how it works, then note that over time, it causes your body to shift while pulling in at the waist. It serves as a semi-permanent effect of the constant compression in your abdominal area. Wearing it continuously can help produce faster results.
The good news is that it is possible for you to learn more about how you can train your waist in such a way that it will eventually achieve your desired hourglass figure. It works for everyone. In fact, you can find plenty of before and after photos from those who tried it out, as well as testimonials of those who attained great results. Those testimonials showed that waist training is indeed effective in attaining beautiful curves.
Waist Training for Beginners
If you’re still a beginner in waist training but want to try it out, then here are some tips that will surely help give you the kind of results that you’ve always wanted:
- Start slow – Avoid being too competitive with others and with your own self. Remember that no one wants to be with a self-righteous person, especially in terms of body issues. Avoid putting your focus too much on how you can best the performances you have previously; otherwise, you might just get too frustrated and unmotivated in the long run.
Keep in mind that your body has its own natural cycles and you have to follow them to achieve your desired results.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself – As a beginner, it is necessary for you to take everything easily. Make sure that you slowly, yet steadily, integrate corset into your own lifestyle, so you’ll be motivated for the long-term, instead of making it an obsession but only temporarily.
As a beginner, a wise advice is to wear the corset for a few hours only. Avoid setting it too tightly. As soon as you get used to it, you can make some gradual increase. Also, remember that you have full control over time and your body will most likely accept change gracefully if you ensure that it’s relaxed. That said, avoid excessively lacing the corset at first. It might only put too much stress on the garment and your body.
- Remove it from time to time – While there are those who really love wearing their corsets to the point that they no longer want to remove them even when sleeping, note that there are certain occasions when you really need to remove yours. One is showering while the other is when exercising. Keep in mind that while it aids in conditioning your core muscle group, which is crucial if you want to achieve your desired figure, note that it can also cause you to become frail in the long run. You don’t want that to happen, do you? So let your body rest from time to time by removing the corset in certain important occasions.
- Be dedicated – If you want to receive the best results from waist training, then commit to sticking to it every day for several months. Ensure that you’re using a garment that perfectly fits you, too. Use a good sizing chart to figure out the most accurate size for you that can produce better results. This will further cause you to commit to the training.
- Work out your core muscles – This is also one of the best tips for waist training beginners. Working out your core muscles makes it possible for you to get your desired results. You can even find waist trainers perfectly designed for exercising, which maximizes the effectiveness of your workout.
Waist Trainer Exercises
You have higher chances of getting the most desirable results from waist training if you pair it up with the right exercises. Keep in mind, though that transitioning from lacing up to exercising within a short period, often less than ten minutes, might make you feel odd at first. You will most likely notice how it feels like when your tissues shift when they resettle into positions without the corset.
While you might not deal with any ill effects from the transition, it’s still best to provide yourself with a minimum of fifteen minutes from the time you unlaced the corset and the workout. It’s also easy for you to handle various waist trainer exercises with the following tips:
- Ensure that your corset is designed specifically for your chosen physical activity – For instance, it is more advisable to pick a sport corset, which is constructed out of a sturdy yet more breathable and lighter material than the standard corsets. In addition, there is a great chance that you can cut it higher on your hips to promote the highest level of mobility. You need to make sure that you invest in a corset, which is suitable for your chosen activity as such helps the entire workout more manageable.
- Invest in a wicking liner and wear it beneath the corset – Go for those made of manmade fabrics that are capable of pulling moisture out of your body. Note that that time you perform your regular physical activities is also the specific instance when your corset will uncomfortably chafe. Make sure to keep the environment surrounding your waist dry with the help of a wicking liner, so you can prevent any possible damage. It’s also a big help in protecting your corset from directly getting exposed to body oils and sweat.
- Avoid targeting your core muscles – You have to follow this tip if you plan to exercise in a corset. Keep in mind that its rigid exoskeleton won’t do a lot of good in helping your abdominal muscles strengthen the core. Certain exercises, such as leg raises and crunches, are also damaging to the corsets, especially because it causes you to bend your bones in ways that they were not supposed to. In addition, it is not advisable to perform static movements, such as being in a plank position when you’re wearing a corset. Note that you can’t get the benefits of your workout, especially if you’re targeting your core muscles, if you let the corset, alone, work. This might even be counterproductive, especially if your goal is to strengthen your back and abdominal muscles.
- Ensure that your breathing is monitored – If you’re too strained that you have a hard time catching your breath, then it is advisable to stop your chosen physical activity right away. Make it a point to bring back the normal respiratory function and pattern of your body. Also, spend time assessing your current state. You should then end your activity or complete it but at a slower volume or pace.Lastly, keep in mind that you can’t lose weight and reshape your body overnight. It is crucial for you to be patient and take it one day at a time. Diving in and improperly wearing the waist trainer when you’re exercising is actually more damaging, instead of being helpful. That said, ensure that you’re following the correct path when you’re using it to prevent harmful results.
Waist Training Diet
In terms of dieting, the best way to handle it when you’re on waist training is to eat little and often. Avoid large meals as these might cause extreme discomfort while also negatively affecting your digestive system. If possible, go for five small meals, instead of the three big meals. The good thing about smaller meals is that they are easier to digest.
When dining out, avoid forcing yourself to eat everything right away. If consuming more foods when eating out causes discomfort, then avoid forcing yourself to eat everything in your plate even if there are still some left. The goal here is to listen to your own body. You can always ask the crew in the restaurant to wrap your left foods so you can bring them home and eat later.
Also, take note that the best diet plan for you is that composed of fruits and veggies. It should also be rich in fiber. Stay away from cold drinks as these might only trick your stomach that it is still empty when it’s not. Of course, with the many waist training diet today, it is crucial for you to figure out which one works for you.
Waist Training Before and After
Because of the benefits in waist training, it is no longer surprising to see plus size women who post their before and after photos to show the results that they gained from trying it out. The good news is that whether you’re skinny or plus size, you can expect waist training to offer you several benefits as it works for all body shapes and sizes.
With waist training, plus size women will start having curves in the right place. Those who are naturally slim, on the other hand, can enjoy a really attractive hourglass figure. It’s mainly because the goal of waist trainer is to enhance your current body shape regardless of your current size.
If you are plus size, then rest assured that your chosen waist trainer works in molding your body in such a way that it can produce an hourglass figure while using excess fat to your benefit. Fortunately, it can start producing results in as little as twenty days. During this period, you will notice a great improvement on the curve on your waist.
Waist Training Schedule
When doing waist training as a means of reducing the size of your waist and enhancing your feminine figure, take note that there is no exact schedule that you need to follow. However, you need to customize your waist training regimen in such a way that it perfectly suits your lifestyle, goals, and present body type.
If you’re still a beginner, then a wise tip is to wear your waist trainer or corset for not more than one to two hours every day. You might face some discomfort at first but rest assured that it’s normal. In case you experience shortness of breath or some bruises, just loosen your corset a bit. You might also think about using it every other day until you get used to the feeling.
Once you get used to it, increase the time spent wearing it gradually. You might increase it to three to four hours provided it’s comfortable for you after a few weeks. If you’re already used to the feeling, then you can follow the duration of others, which is up to eight hours daily. There are even those who wear it for 12-16 hours.
Regardless of the schedule you use, ensure that it’s comfortable enough for you. Also, take note that you can expect your body to respond better if you’re consistent when it comes to following your chosen schedule.
- Day 1
- 20 jumping jacks
- 15 crunches
- 15 squats
- 5-minute walk
- 20-second plank
- Day 2
- 20 jumping jacks
- 15 crunches
- 15 step-ups
- 5-minute walk
- 20-second plank
- Day 3
- 10 push-ups
- 10 diamond push-ups
- 30 crunches
- 30-second plank
- 30 sit ups
- Day 4
- 40 squats
- 40 crunches
- 40-second plank
- 40 jumping jacks
- 40 butt kicks
- Day 5
- 50 squats
- 50 crunches
- 50-second plank
- 50-second wall sit
- 50 jumping jacks
- Day 6
- 50 jumping jacks
- 50 lunges
- 50 push-ups
- 50 sit ups
- 50 butt kicks
- Day 7
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Use a Waist Trainer?
To ensure that you’re using the waist trainer correctly, get the correct size. Keep in mind that poor fitting ones can cause discomfort. Wearing one, which is too small, might also prevent you from getting your desired results quickly.
Also, use a waist trainer, which perfectly fits your current body type. It’s available in different styles, so finding one that perfectly suits your body is possible. Using the most appropriate one for you will definitely help you get the results you want.
How Long should I Wear my Waist Trainer?
Wear your waist trainer for one and a half to two hours only, especially if you’re still a first timer. Follow that duration for several days until you break the trainer or corset in. Listen to how your body responds and make it a point to take everything slowly.
Increase the duration gradually – around 1.5 hours per day to approximately six to eight hours daily within the course of ten to fourteen days. Avoid rushing so you won’t end up harming yourself.
When to Start Waist Training after Pregnancy?
To guarantee your safety and that of your baby, it would be best for you to start waist training again six to eight weeks after giving birth. This should give you enough time to recover from the childbirth process. During this period, you can expect your waist trainer to be a big help in promoting thermal activity, leading to fat loss. New moms can also benefit from it as it reshapes and slims their body and promote fat loss.
How to Make a Waist Trainer?
It’s actually possible for you to make your own waist trainer, instead of buying one. All it takes is to choose a pattern, one that perfectly suits you and the goal you want to attain from wearing it. Cutting your chosen pattern accurately should be the next step. The cut should be accurate in the sense that it fits you perfectly.
After cutting the pattern, outlining the seam should come next. Do it at the ends of the cut pattern – both the bottom and top, as well as around 1 cm inside. Choose a nice and comfortable fabric for the pattern then put everything together. The last step involves sewing the piece. The good news is that you can find plenty of guides online if you want to make your own waist trainer instead of purchasing one.
How to Wear a Waist Trainer?
Wear the waist trainer beneath your clothes as such aids in promoting heat and perspiration. Ensure that you begin on that row where you feel utmost comfort. Wrap it around yourself. The bottom part of the trainer should be placed over your midsection. If possible, clasp the waist trainer around that part of your waist, which is the narrowest. You should then pull it down over the abdomen.
It would be best for the garment to fit the loosest setting as such can provide more room for you to size down. If it’s not too uncomfortable for you, consider wearing it when working out as it targets your abdominal core, thereby boosting thermal activity.
How to Train Without a Corset?
You can also train in such a way that you’ll get your desired hourglass figure without using a corset. All it takes is to perform workouts that specifically target your waist. Some examples are exercise bikes, plank, Russian twists, and sit-ups.
Waist training is not actually that complicated to do provided you’re aware of the basics and you ensure that you apply some beginner tips correctly. Hopefully, all the information indicated in this article will help you start your journey towards attaining a better figure through waist training.